Church of St. Nicholas Prague Old Town (Chrám Svatého Mikuláše)
Church of St. Nicholas is located in Prague's Old Town Square. It was built in the Baroque style between 1732-1737 by architect Kilian Ignaz Dientzenhofer.
The interior of the church is worth attention organ and ceiling frescos depicting the lives of the saints St. Nicholas, Vol. Benedict and themes of the Old Testament. In the years 1735-1736 is created Bavarian painter Cosmas Damian Assam. The main altar is made of imitation marble comes from the 1737th.
The present church was built on the site of spent Gothic parish church, which is mentioned by the year 1273. Church of St. Nicholas formed a counterbalance to the Church of Our Lady before Tyn standing diagonally across the Old Town Square. The original buildings have survived several construction elements built in the basement today. For Wenceslas IV. became one of the Hussite or better reformist, center, is linked to the names Jana militia Kroměříže and Matthew of Janov. In 1635 the church received the Benedictine monks of the Emmaus Monastery (The Slavs) and added the now defunct monastery. Between 1730 and 1739, designed by Kilian Ignaz Dienzenhofer built the present church.
Emperor Joseph II. was part of the church equipment confiscated, including bells. According to legend, one of them dedicated Dolanům.
In the years 1870-1914 he served the Orthodox Church, then was used as a garrison church or warehouse. Since 1920 there has Czechoslovak Hussite Church.: http://cs.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kostel_svatého_Mikuláše_(Staré_Město)